Sunday, January 5, 2014

Happy 2014

It has been a great year doing amazing things all year round and meeting new people. I ended my 2013 and welcomed 2014 in Bangkok, the so called sin-city of Asia. The first time staying in a massive 6 bunk beds hostel (I know there are rooms with more beds) and I was not surprised that none in the room is Asian except me. We did some touristy things together and really had fun specifically the temples visiting.  We visited the infamous ping-pong show (I hope my parents would never find out) and I was really stunned by the kind of performance they could do with their ahem. Food was great especially the tom yum but pathai was so so, maybe our char-kwey-tiaw is better. 

Here is one of our group pictures taken. Me, Kasper from Denmark, Simon from Australia and Melli from Germany. =)

Finally meeting up Nicolas (left) again for the third time in 2013. It is amazing how we get our friendship going since the first meetup in Kuching in June 2013 thru a mutual couchsurfer. It is amazing how I keep all this friendship in pace and almost all of them become my good or even best friends now. I really appreciate the effect of what traveling has brought me, thank you. =) 

It's been a great year really. I believe I changed a lot from inside from a teenage kid who used to trap in the materialistic world evolves to a person who is more outward with a big heart of adventurer. I had a flying color results graduated from polytechnic, traveled alone to down under and got a good job in a German firm! That's like all my wish list came to realisation!

In 2014, I wish I can continue to excel in studies while having a job in hand. I know it's not gonna be easy but let's get this through. To be honest my focus will still be on my studies as work is just an obligation that I am tied to. But sometimes it is the good penny that keeps me moving. As I am in the midst to fund myself a world tour soon I think keeping a job in hand is pretty important!

Resolution for a new year huh? Hrm... After getting into the workforce for about 5 months I starting to realize this might not be the ultimate thing I am going to do for the rest of my life. I involved in a couple trade shows the past few months and found out that I actually enjoy more doing the preparation of a better visual appeal and how the make the product looks more convincing to customer which leads to the business/marketing/economics field. Certainly I could perform well as an engineer in what I am currently doing but it eventually get bored now (after few months) after having to deal with technical stuff all the time. I find out that I am more like a person who likes to interact more with bona fide people, how to enhance one's experience with what I am doing. So my resolution this year is to keep exploring myself and to find where it fits me the best. Be it a tutor to help a student understanding in what he is studying or to become a friendly accommodation provider to make visitor finds the home away from home. I think things like that are what I enjoy doing better. 2014 I will continue to travel more on my own to see what the world has to offer me. 


p/s: My boss was not really happy that I applied for leave during Christmas to go home. He said "work first then play". Despite having a few days of legitimate pro-rated leave but he did not seems to willingly grant it for me. I really hope his principle in line with our parent German company of work-life balance or else really, I do not think I will stay long despite all the perks of great remuneration package and the opportunity travel to work. I hope the German culture is in the heart of this Asia HQ, or I might keep looking for a real German's.

No comments: