Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mini Education Fair @ UNIMAS

Today should be a very nice Sunday when I can sleep til the sun is three poles high, but I had promised Miss Chai to join that what so ever education fair which spoilt my mood since early in the morning. Fine, as usual I received some "compliment" from my dad as he doesn't know where the place is. Lolz.

The first thing- lecture! I have nothing much to comment about for this lecture, a very usual lecture as the other lectures which I attended before. Due to that the topic today was something I were concerning about so I didn't doze off halfway during the talk. It lasted for an hour followed by another activity which let us to have a chance to look around and have some interactions among the undergraduate students here. I found out that some parts of the exhibition telling about fun facts engaged me the most. A passage written in spelling errors was pretty cool though I not really understand about the theory on how it works. It was a passage with all the vocabs spelled wrongly and it asked you to read through the passage. It stated that there are only 45 out of 100 people can read it which I don't think is very true because all my friends can read with ease.

Time flies. When the clock struck at 11.45am, we were given 2 hours for our lunch break. Well, me, Fabian and Melvin decided to enter the haunted house. But Melvin left the team without my notice. The haunted house appeared to be eerie when I first stepped into it because it was very dark inside as I couldn't even see my fingers. Well, I have some fun by "entertaining" those "ghosts" inside. First, I cheered to those who used hand phone to shine over their face. Later, I beat on a table back to a ghost who was doing that to me. It was quite fun but I were regretted that I came out in a prompt, I should take my time enjoying with those "ghosts". Pretty insane, haha.

Came to the practical session, me, Fabian, Boon Ping, Michelle, Chung Wui and others were assigned into Group C. We had a tour around the campus and I do find out that the facilities are not well supervised and maintained. The paint on the wall is shedding and most of the ceilings are broken as well. Luckily I don't see any leakage from the ceilings like what happened in the Parliament building. I don't think this situation is conducive for people like me to study here. Only a minor part of the students are Chinese and most of them are natives and Malays. What could I expect much from UNIMAS? A university ranking the top 50 in the world which then drop til the 220th position. There are reasons behind for everything that happened, I have no need to explain much as this might touch on some sensitive issues. By the way, specimens inside the laboratory were just enough to impress as I never seen these before. This is where I gained most of the scarce experience and knowledge which I could hardly obtained in my daily life.

Finally, came to the end of the fair. Fabian represented our school to say a few words. A short yet strong points made up his speech. I went off sharp after the closing ceremony as my dad was waiting me outside. 20 minutes later, I was sitting down in front of my lappie writing this post. It is indeed a long one. I have to clarify that what a wrong mindset I had in the beginning of the day, this fair was actually a very beneficial one for me.

No comments: