Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Weekend in Merlion City (Nature Enthusiast)

Today I am gonna tell you how to spend your weekend in Singapore the different way. Getaway from bustling crowds at shopping malls and catch a fresh breathe of pythoncidere from the wonders of nature. Pretty ironic that although I have stayed in Singapore for more than 3 years but I have never been to the Botanic Gardens. To be frank I don't even know its existence until recently when I started to look for lush greenery within the city-state. The garden spanning across a whopping 74-hectare is probably the one and only spot in Singapore where you can lost yourself in the middle of rainforest and enjoy the sunshine lying on the green field. What more can you ask for?

The entrance from Tanglin Road

One of the lakes

Sun beam breaks into the thin canopy

One of the heritage trees which has girth size up to 8m

Swan lake

The must try ice-cream when you are in downtown
It is a slice of ice-cream in rectangular form sandwiched either in waffle or bread
Apart from it's tempting freezing flavour to combat with the tropical climate
It is definitely cheaper than any of the cheapest drinking water you could find in 7-11
(It used to be $1 I had few months back, but it has now become $1.2-1.4,
20-40% inflation in just few months time?
Singapore is definitely no longer a cheap place to live)

You can spend at least half a day to one day at Botanic Gardens depends on your liking. If you just strolling slowly across the different themed flora attractions you can expect to spend 3-4 hour in the parks. From "Healing Garden" for herbs lover to solitary drought survivor of deserts in "Sun Garden" and lots more which you will at least find one your favourite. The gardens also has a few shady spots for picnic as well as track for runners.

I will do another post on the second garden in Singapore - "Gardens by the Bay" next time. Practically I don't really like this one as the entire garden is man made even the land where the garden sits on. It is more on stunning architecture than to its natural appeal.

The "Super Trees" at Gardens by the Bay at night

BMW i8                                                        BMW i3

I bumped into BMW I roadshow when I walked from Botanical Gardens to Orchard Road. I have always been fanaticised by the jaw dropping technology of German engineering especially the automobile industry. BMW and Audi are always my all time favourite. Today I had the chance to see and touch my dream concept car and never thought that the car will hit offshore in Singapore one day - the BMW i8. The i-series are incorporated with the latest blue efficiency technology of BMW which is fully petrol free and electrical powered. The chassis is also made from BMW home developed new carbon compound which is lighter, has better aerodynamic flow and harder than conventional steel. Germans always inspire the little engineer inside me. 

Book. Music. Bed.

I don't have lots of drinking kaki in Singapore but this definitely does not lead to a saddening night life. I reckon myself as an academic person as I can master almost everything a little quicker than other people do. I don't want to take this gift as granted so I started to pick up new language as I could to further ameliorate my language proficiency. Twenty-one years ago I was given Mandarin as my mother tongue following English as my second language. Fourteen years ago I was admitted to the national primary syllabus where Malay is added to the list of my language proficiency. Three years ago I picked up German as my affection for engineering grows stronger day by day. Few weeks ago I started Spanish as a friend from Boston who happens to be a Spanish teacher told me I would have conquered the world if I could speak Spanish in addition to Mandarin and English (Three most widely spoken languages in the world). Since I am taking a break from the technical engineering knowledge these days, I think it would be best I utilise the time to polish my German and quickly pick up the new Spanish. I hope by the end of 2014 I can be real fluent in five languages - Mandarin, English, Malay, German and Spanish. 

*The little perk of speaking Spanish is it is so similar to Portuguese that both are mutually intelligible. 

If you have recently done watching "Game of Thrones" and being paranoid and in dire searching for another good show, here you are - Da Vinci's Demons.

No comments: